Thursday, January 1, 2015

Deep Thoughts, Cheap Thoughts & Bonbons


Deep Thoughts, Cheap Shots & Bonbons

 

Hope everyone had a Holiday Season filled with joy and cheerful moments that create lasting memories. My wish to all:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

The Nevada Appeal on December 28th had the following article, “Balancing Development, Services” written by John Barrette. The context covered what each Board member thought were the highlights in 2014, as well as their priorities for 2015. Informative and covering a broad spectrum of topics, three Board members classified the 1/8 of a cent sales tax as their number one highlight of 2014.

Although I voted against the 1/8th cent sales tax, it was approved by a majority of the Board, and so we move forward into 2015 in full support of seeing these capital projects completed. As I have stated previously: regardless of how a Board member votes if it’s a: bill, an ordinance or an agenda item that gets passed by the majority of the Board, then it is our duty as a Board member to fully engage with other Board members insuring that everything dealing with this agenda item gets fully vetted before proceeding forward. All members of the Board regardless of how they voted have further obligations - insuring the project is done correctly, and continually monitoring staff as the project moves forward. Even after the project is completed, the Board has the final duty to report to you the citizen the outcome of the project. So, essentially my work has just begun.

 

Regarding the Nevada Appeal, I ask:

Humorously, why are the pictures of the Board members so outdated?

Seriously, why not provide all Board members the opportunity to have a guest column on a rotating basis?

The Appeal is advertising for a full-time reporter; again seriously, why not hire the author of Carson City Politics (www.carsonciypolitics.com)

 

My Predications For 2015

1. The project behind the Nugget, I have every reason to believe, is a “GO.” Previously, it had been on the NNDA website (now removed). At present, it is listed at MacCompany's website (www.maccompanys.com) This proposed project is privately funded with an estimated 200 million dollar valuation. At this time, it requires no tax dollars.

2. Our streets are currently in poor condition, and they will get worse, due to lack of funding.

 

My Ride-A-Long with Carson City Sheriffs

The night began with fascination as to how an officer performs and conducts their duties. I was held spellbound for the first few hours. Each call on the radio had a riveting and captivating effect on me. To some degree I learned what actually occurs within our community. I had conversations with numerous officers and the common topic was the age of vehicles and equipment they use daily. Replacement and upgrades of equipment is long overdue and critically needed. Where the funding will come from is the million dollar question, and probably the cost too.

I would like to publicly state: our Sheriff Department is the reason we live in such a great community. They deserve all the credit for making our daily lives safe.

To each and every one of our Sheriffs - THANK YOU!

 

Hot Topic Coming Before the Board on January 5th

Want to see how this Board will operate in the next two years? Then this is a must attend meeting. Individual Board members will be assigned to the various  16 appointments available on Committees and Commissions. Fundamentally, each Board member should have an equal number of appointments. The process on how these positions will be filled, however, remains a mystery to me. Although I have asked, I've not received what I consider a competent response. I have suggested that a spread sheet be shown at the meeting so the public can see what each Board member's priority placements are. Another member stated it should be based on seniority basis. The previous time this came before the Board a member would nominate another member or volunteer to serve, then another Board member would second, then the Board as a whole would vote. For goodness sake, I do hope we can move to a higher level of competency in decision-making, but at this juncture, it’s any ones guess. These appointments are high stakes for the community’s future. Just as each Board member has been elected to serve and represent their Ward, each should be given an opportunity to serve your interests on these committees.

In Closing

It is not a mystery that I am the lone vote against some of the hottest topics at Board meetings.  In many instances there are numerous conversations generated from that vote tally, either in support or disapproval of my position and my vote. I am contacted by citizens both the pro and con - which I continue to encourage. My sole aim is to represent the majority opinion of constituents in Ward 4 and the community as a whole.

My contact information:

JShirk@carson.org

Tele: (775) 720.5761

 

Please forward this to family, friends and neighbors

 

         

No comments:

Post a Comment